Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Bored of Big Brother?

I hate to admit it, but I have been sneakily watching the odd bit of Celebrity Big Brother here and there. I usually turn off after a few minutes, but sometimes I just stay on the couch, fascinated. Last night, I was staggered when Big Brother asked the contestants to think of a question they had always wanted to know the answer to. Following Jade Goody’s bizarre enquiry as to why Eskimos do not turn into ‘giant ice cubes’, and whether they communicate ‘like dolphins’…the laugh out loud moment came after her boyfriend, Jack, asked why men have nipples. A perfectly valid question. Jack did have some problems with the explanation though. After being told, twice, that the human embryo has sole female characteristics for the first 6-8 weeks, Jack looked into the camera quite exasperatedly and demanded to know: ‘What’s an em-vry-o [sic]??’…that’s when I turned off.

If all that ‘reality’ is getting to you too, then a bit of romance reading is the perfect antidote! There’s a new Nora Roberts out this month, Jewels of the Sun, which is the first book in the Irish trilogy, following the romantic adventures of the Gallagher siblings. I picked it up last night and soon forgot all about the Goody clan, and was instead transported to the picturesque village of Ardmore, wrapped up in the budding romance between Jude Murray and Aidan Gallagher…and also found myself craving a pint of Guinness!

Mr Impossible by Loretta Chase, also managed to tempt me away from the small screen – if you’d like to try some Regency-set romance, then this is a great place to start. I fell head over heels for her brilliant hero, Rupert Carsington, the undisputed black sheep of his aristocratic family. He is naturally devastatingly gorgeous and dashing, and wherever he goes, trouble follows. He begins the novel stranded in the depths of Cairo's most infamous prison, and his only way out is accepting a beautiful widow's dangerous proposal…This is great fun, and very witty…and might just tear me away from Big Brother, at least for a couple of days…!

Anyone else battling an addiction to terrible telly?

11 Comments:

At 6:54 pm, January 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate reality TV, but I absolutely love reading romance. You can never go wrong with a Nora Roberts, can you? I read Jewels of the Sun some time ago and it was absolutely fab!

I can't wait to read Loretta Chase's books as I've been wanting to read her book for some time. Next time I'm in town, I'll pick up Mr Impossible as it looks like a wonderful read.

 
At 9:54 am, January 17, 2007, Blogger Emma said...

juliemt - I hate myself for watching reality tv! I do balance it out with a fair bit of reading though :-). Do try the Loretta Chase, I found them really good fun.

 
At 4:36 pm, January 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate Big Brother - all reality tv, actually but with it in the news, theres no escaping it. I do find it appalling that there is a clear case of bullying/racism going on though.

I have just seen the covers for JR Ward's series - thought they were really good. Do you have the dates for Lover Revealed yet? I can't wait for it! I am also looking forward to reading Innocent in death - love Roarke - but have to wait for paperback.

 
At 4:57 pm, January 17, 2007, Blogger Emma said...

dobby - the bullying has been bad - I'm surprised that Channel 4 hasn't made an official statement about it. Maybe they will now that their sponsor is threatening to quit.

The only thing really worth watching at the moment is the new series of ER, as far as I'm concerned, but that's beacuse I'm in love with Luka...

Glad you like the JR Ward covers - always good to get some positive feedback. Lover Revealed will be coming out in paperback in May. Innocent in Death will be out in trade paperback next month, priced £10.99, and the paperback edition is currently scheduled for September.

 
At 6:10 pm, January 17, 2007, Blogger Lara Adrian said...

My only reality TV addiction is to Survivor, and even that addiction was waning until this past season. Thankfully, I never succumbed to the Big Brother craze!

Congrats on the upcoming releases from Nora Roberts and Loretta Chase. And I have to second Dobby's comment that the JR Ward UK covers are fantastic!

Happy New Year to all,

Lara in New England :)

 
At 11:26 am, January 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am waiting impatiently for the next J R Ward book and was a little disappointed that you will be publishing it 2 months after the U.S publication date. Two more months to wait arghhhh . . . !!

That said I too think the covers look really strong for the series.

 
At 9:51 am, January 22, 2007, Blogger Emma said...

lara - thanks for your feedback!

Willa - we are publishing it as close to the US date as we can - I'll let you know as soon as it is available.

 
At 6:05 pm, January 23, 2007, Blogger Natalie said...

Hi Emma, I'm rather lucky living all the way over here in South Africa, as I don't get subjected to reality TV too often (Big Brother Africa- now that’s BAD TV viewing) I do have to admit that I am completely addicted to Prison Break and Supernatural runs a good second place in my schedule, especially since Lost began to lose it's shine. I second (or is it third?) the others comments on J R Ward's covers, they look brilliant. I can't wait on the new release; boy 4 months seems such a long, long time away!

 
At 12:43 pm, January 24, 2007, Blogger Emma said...

natalie - Hi! Thanks for the lovely feedback on the JR Ward covers - just keep counting the days!

I'm over my BB addiction now - back to being glued to the screen whenever ER is on though - I even watch the repeats! Maybe I should get out more...:-)

 
At 11:46 am, March 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

come on girls get real!
There is masses of good telly to watch.

Top Gear, MOTD 1&2, Grand Designs, Dragons Den, Party Animal, Desperate Housewives for starters. Don't forget Merecat Manor on Sundays (Shakespeare is a hero - he saved the pups)

 
At 12:37 pm, March 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Confession time:

Home & Away - never been the same since they stopped the Omnibus edition

Relocation
Chaos at the Chateau
Question Time
The Apprentice (new season to come)

oh & X factor & underdog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home