Thursday, March 01, 2007

Making a Splash!


I love MaryJanice Davidson’s books. Her Undead series of vampire chick lit has made me laugh out loud on public transport. But I must admit I approached her new series with a little bit of trepidation.

It feels like only yesterday (in fact three years ago – yikes!) that I persuaded the powers that be to take a chance on some paranormal romance on our fiction list but having done vampires (Sherrilyn Kenyon and the divine MJD), Carpathians (Christine Feehan) werewolves (the forthcoming and very cool Keri Arthur), I wasn’t quite sure we at Piatkus were ready for mermaids!

I needn’t have feared…

As with vampires, werewolves and the other assorted creatures of the night that populate her books (I particularly love the Devil’s daughter – a Sunday school teacher with a little bit of a temper!), MJ takes the mermaid legend and makes it her own.

MJ’s mermaids are decidedly not Disney. Fred the mermaid in Sleeping With The Fishes is bad-tempered, allergic to seafood and afraid of the ocean. As with the Undead books, the mermaid novels are also wonderfully funny chick lit that just so happen to have a more unusual heroine at their heart.

They’re great fun and we’ll be publishing the first book this month with more to follow. And don’t worry they’ll be more UNDEAD books to come too.


P.s. I can’t help wondering what’s next for our paranormal menagerie…

9 Comments:

At 5:53 pm, March 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have to say the concept of mermaids sounds really intriguing.

 
At 5:53 pm, March 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have to say the concept of mermaids sounds really intriguing.

 
At 9:33 am, March 02, 2007, Blogger Natalie said...

I have to agree with Willa’s comment above it does sound interesting, especially since I haven't read anything about mermaids since the time of Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tales.

Just to let you know my book arrived this morning and since I am recovering from an op it is a much needed distraction, so THANK YOU very much.

 
At 10:57 am, March 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just to say thanks for the book, it was fun, glad someone had a happy ending even if it wasn't Fred. She is not someone I want to meet on a dark night unless I know her well
Mairi

 
At 12:16 pm, March 06, 2007, Blogger Gillian said...

Hi Mairi,

That was quick! Glad you enjoyed SLEEPING WITH THE FISHES. Like the Undead books, this will be an ongoing series for MaryJanice Davidson and we have SWIMMING WITH THE SHARKS to come early next year. So Fred will remain torn between two men (or one man and one merman...)for a little longer yet...

Happy Reading!

Gillian at Piatkus

 
At 1:06 pm, March 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved 'Undead and Unwed' but this looks even more interesting. (And it's the perfect birthday present for a friend of mine who loves mermaids..!)

 
At 2:23 pm, March 08, 2007, Blogger juliemt said...

Hi! My copy arrived this morning and I look forward to reading it! It only took three days to make it here which I am really pleased about!

Have a great week,everyone
Love,
Julie

 
At 9:40 pm, March 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read the first three Mary Balogh novels in the Slightly series. I have just discovered her from reading the two Simply titles and wanted to say 'thanks Piatkus' for publishing her. What I like is that all the characters develop during the novel and Iabsolutely love the family. Roll on the next three, especially the one where Wulf falls for someone special.

Yvette

 
At 10:42 am, March 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This book left me with a twitch!
MJD has left her readers at the height of suspense - excellent read! I was on the email to Gillian as soon as I had finished the book praying that there was another one on the way! Thank god there is!
P.S. Artur sounds right up my street - I wouldn't mind a merman if he swept me up like that : )

Jessica Snelling

 

Post a Comment

<< Home