Friday, March 16, 2007

Are your ready for MANSFIELD PARK?


'About thirty years ago Miss Maria Ward, of Huntingdon, with only seven thousand pounds, had the good luck to captivate Sir Thomas Bertram, of Mansfield Park, in the county of Northampton, and to be thereby raised to the rank of a baronet's lady, with all the comforts and consequences of an handsome house and large income.

It required a longer time, however, than Mrs Norris was inclined to allow, to reconcile Fanny to the novelty of Mansfield Park, and the separation from everybody she had been used to.

Fanny, with all her faults of ignorance and timidity, was fixed at Mansfield Park, and learning to transfer in its favour much of her attachment to her former home, grew up there not unhappily among her cousins.'

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

I can't tell you how excited I am by the prospect of ITV's Jane Austen season!

First up is Mansfield Park - 9.00pm this Sunday evening on ITV. Now I have to confess Fanny is not my favourite Austen heroine - I've always felt she's a little bit too good to be true. And she is a little bit wet - not least because she always seems to be in floods of tears in the novel. Even so I can't wait for what feels like proper sunday evening entertainment.

I must also confess I'm also having to reserve judgement on Billie Piper too. I think she was great in Doctor Who. I even liked her in the BBC's reworking of the Miller's Tale but she always seems a thoroughly modern actress. Hard to picture in a nice Regency frock... Mansfield Park also features Michelle Ryan - she of Eastenders fame though most of the other cast members are unfamiliar to me - especially the men. Anyone know where we might have seen them before?

You can view the trailer here:

http://janeausten.itv.com/#/Mansfield_Park/Trailer/

Happy viewing!

Gillian from Piatkus

7 Comments:

At 9:57 am, March 16, 2007, Blogger Lesley Cookman said...

Yes, we appear to be going back to what my daughters and I always referred to as "Sunday evening viewing." Really looking forward to it, but not sure about Billie Piper being cast (according to the Radio Times) as quite a rumbustious young lady. Not how Fanny was written, was it? I did like her in "The Ruby in the Smoke" at Christmas, though.

 
At 10:25 am, March 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love Jane Austen and grew up being read her books and watching the films with my family in front of the open fire on sunday nights with cheese and biscuits - always conjures up great memories :)
I watched 'Ruby In the Smoke' at christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it - Billy Piper was very good (I must admit I had my doubts) and I cant wait to see her performance in Mansfield Park.

Jessica Snelling

 
At 10:58 am, March 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the previous big screen film which was made of Mansfield Park a few years ago and I loved it. It will be interesting to compare it to the tv version.

And, yes, would like to try a Stephanie Laurens. Will send you my name and address. Thank you. I have heard of her but never tried one.

Gilly Tooting

 
At 11:18 am, March 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Leslie ~ some classic Sunday evening viewing in store. I do have reservations about Billie Piper ~ not her acting ability, just her 'look', at the moment she appears to me as a 21st Century girl playing dress up!!

 
At 7:29 pm, March 16, 2007, Blogger Natalie said...

Gosh I am so jealous that I won't be able to catch this living here in South Africa- we are only now just getting the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice on BBC Prime (not that I’m not watching it again, or complaining!) I guess I will just have to wait and hope that we get it on our Mnet.

I think that Michelle Ryan was one of my least favourite characters in Eastenders and I believe that she is now set to become The Bionic Woman and having said that, the last time I saw Billie Piper acting was in the Calcium Kid, which doesn’t bring thoughts of Austen to mind. Oh well I really hope that they pull it off and that you enjoy it as you will have to let me know if it is worth buying on Dvd this March, that way I can watch it on Sundays and pretend that I am back home!

P.S My Sleeping with the Fishes arrived today so you can guess what I will be up to tonight.

P.P.S Having read Devil’s Bride and rereading my Austen novels I really do believe that I was born in the wrong century – Damn!!

 
At 7:46 pm, March 16, 2007, Blogger Natalie said...

I just have to say having just viewed the trailers fom the link you posted I am now a not very flattering shade of Green!! ;-)

 
At 8:05 pm, March 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love Jane Austen. Really glad we are getting some decent programs - maybe reality tv is coming to an end? I hope so!! Billy Piper was good in Pullmans adaptation. Looking forward to watching it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home