Friday, March 23, 2007

Jane Austen with a twist?

I just noticed this story in today's Guardian newspaper:

On the back of their Jane Austen season, ITV have unveiled plans for a new drama, tentatively called Lost in Austen, which sees a 21st century heroine - undoubtably a Bridget Jones-style neurotic - swapping places with Lizzie Bennet!

I must admit as much as I like the high-concept (though it's not neccessarily a new one!)*, I'm a little wary too. I want it to be good but...

I guess we really are in the midst of Austen-fever this year, and this is the ultimate in wish-fulfillment television. Though I would say that most woman have already put themselves in Lizzie's shoes before...!! (Or at least Jennifer Ehle's!)

What do you all think? (You can read the complete story by following the link below...)

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,2040444,00.html

P.s. Incidentally I always think Jasper FForde can't be beat for modern heroine's jumping into books. Read The Eyre Affair and other books in his extremely funny Thursday Next series.

5 Comments:

At 10:43 am, March 23, 2007, Blogger Gillian said...

Oops, I've just realised you have to be a Guardian subscriber to follow the above link!

So much for me feeling all clever for putting the link in properly...(Pride goes before a fall, as my mother would say!)

If anyone knows how to put the story up without requiring registration feel free to help out with a link...

 
At 11:19 am, March 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops!! LOL!

On reading your post above part of me groaned ~ ITV jumping on the bandwagon again, although on second thoughts Billie Piper would be PERFECT for that time travelling role . . . complete with eyebrows!!

 
At 11:28 am, March 23, 2007, Blogger Gillian said...

Willa - I love your suggestion.

I hadn't made the connection to Ms Piper - but she does have the perfect cv for the role! (Time-travelling experience preferred but not essential...)

 
At 11:55 am, March 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope there will be a light sabre to spice it up though. Will it be as good as Prime Eval? i think not. You need a few dinosaurs but maybe BP's eyebrows are scary enough.

It won't be very 'eyebrow' if it is ITV anyway. ha ha

 
At 12:02 pm, March 23, 2007, Blogger Gillian said...

It won't be very 'eyebrow'

Very good Dino Saur. I like bad puns as much as the next girl.

Primevil was fun...but I did kind of get annoyed with the amount of times they said 'anomaly' in one programme. If you made it into a drinking game you'd be comotose by the first ad break! Good tea-time show though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home