Monday, March 26, 2007

What did people think of Northanger Abbey?

I think Jane Austen purists may not have liked the liberties taken with Northanger Abbey last night. Catherine's over-active imagination in the novel spilled over into fairly erotic dreams - with a touch of S&M - which saw her emerge naked from a bath at one point!

However leaving aside the futher adventures in sexing up Jane Austen, I actually enjoyed this more than Mansfield Park. It was by no means perfect: aside from plot liberties, the ending seemed a tad rushed and the anachronisms in the dialogue were a bit grating. (A gothic novel described as 'Hot stuff!'. I think not!) That said, it was again a fun way to spend a sunday evening and Catherine seemed more like Jane Austen's creation than Fanny in last week's Mansfield Park.

One think of note, after Billie Piper's eyebrows stole the show in MP, I was a little distracted by the attempts of Isabella's bosom to escape the confines of her very pretty dress. (A colleague swears she saw a hint of nipple.) Heaving bosoms are all very well but I'm not sure Jane would approve of them being on full display!

What did everyone else think? (Of the show, not necessarily the bosoms...)

P.s. Up next is Persuasion which I must confess I have the highest hope for as it's such a strong story. Great cast too and the trailer does look very good:
http://janeausten.itv.com/#/Persuasion/Trailer/

3 Comments:

At 11:44 am, March 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was adapted by Andrew Davies ~ he of P&P fame who had Mr Darcy rising from the water *thud* so a bit of sexing up was expected! Overall the production worked for me.

I agree with your comments ~ I enjoyed it so much more than Mansfield Park. I believed in the characters and thought there was definate chemistry between Catherine and Henry. Was well cast imo.

Noticed Isabella's bosom too ~ how could you not fail to!!

 
At 5:33 pm, March 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This adaptation was 100 times better than last weeks! I would even consider buying a dvd of it if ITV sells them (which I'm sure they will). It definitely could sit on my shelf next to the version of P&P with Colin Firth. I found myself pulled into the story more so with these characters (and the actors who played them) than with Mansfield Park.
I agree that certain scenes were a bit sexed up for a Jane Austen novel, but I suppose if you're going to put it on tv you're going to get a bit of that.
Can't wait for next Sunday!

Julia

 
At 7:57 pm, March 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I just received my book today - yeah! - and just wanted to say thank you.

I can't wait for Persuasion. Looks really good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home