Monday, April 02, 2007

The art of Persuasion....


'A few years before, Anne Elliot had been a very pretty girl, but her bloom had vanished early; and as even in its height, her father had found little to admire in her, (so totally different were her delicate features and mild dark eyes from his own), there could be nothing in them, now that she was faded and thin, to excite his esteem. He had never indulged much hope, he had now none, of ever reading her name in any other page of his favourite work. All equality of alliance must rest with Elizabeth, for Mary had merely connected herself with an old country family of respectability and large fortune, and had therefore given all the honour and received none: Elizabeth would, one day or other, marry suitably.' (Chapter One, Persuasion by Jane Austen)

And so ITV's Jane Austen Season comes to an end - and I think they saved the best until last! It's always been my favourite Jane Austen novel and without a doubt Rupert Penry-Jones (gratuitous shot of him above in Spooks guise!) is my favourite hero of the three new adaptations. Thought the scenery of this one was amazing - wonderfully rugged and dramatic. I thought the cast was excellent - the actress playing Anne was great, Antony Head is always good and Rupert - as mentioned -made a dashing Wentworth.

A few niggles as before - I know Mary is supposed to be an annoying character but she was a little too annoying for me - couldn't wait for whatever scene she was in to end. (There's a tendency for any actress playing one of Austen's supporting comic characters to go over the top - and she certainly did. )

Also was it me or was there rather a lot of running on Anne's part? Most Bridget Jones than Regency miss, I'd of thought. But all in all I liked it. This may even be one I buy on DVD.

What did everyone else think?

6 Comments:

At 9:36 am, April 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took great delight in watching this although, I have never read the book or seen any other screen version so I wouldn't be able to compare it but I thought it was a fab story and must admit to having a few tears rolling down my face at the end! I am a complete sucker for Jane Austen and am a little upset that the 'season' only included three of her novels! I want more more more - what is a girl supposed to do on a Sunday night?! I was very taken with Northanger Abbey...loved the Gothic theme although as agreed with a few others I think they took a few liberties! Talking of men.... I personally think Mr Wentworth was just stunning!

Jessica Snelling
Piatkus Books

 
At 11:20 am, April 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also haven't read the book but I thought it was great! In fact, I'm going to go and read the book now. I really felt sorry for Anne - an outsider in her own family. Cpt Wentworth was also good in it. Did anyone else think her endless running around at the end was annoying? But overall - really good.

 
At 1:10 pm, April 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you'd think he could have got a jacket that fitted him (for the posted photo) also is he going bald?
i think he still has the coathanger in that jacket.

 
At 1:16 pm, April 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Armani, you are spot on, however what I want to know why he is standing in an empty underground car park? He has obviously lost his wheels. It is parked on level 3 you muppet.

 
At 2:15 pm, April 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ITV definately saved the best for last. Was great. Cast, costumes, locations, it all gelled.

Like you Gillian, it may be the one I buy on DVD.

 
At 3:08 pm, April 02, 2007, Blogger Natalie said...

I’m glad that you have said you liked this one Gillian, as I recently ordered it from Amazon for my younger sisters birthday, since it is her favourite novel of all time. I just kept my fingers crossed that ITV had done it justice : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home