Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Half werewolf, half vampire, completely addictive...

This month sees the launch of our first urban fantasy author at Piatkus - Keri Arthur (as announced on the blog some time ago, in fact).

As you probably know we've been publishing paranormal romance novels for a couple of years now but this is our first venture into the dark realm of urban fantasy.

According to Wikipedia, Urban Fantasy: '...is a subset of contemporary fantasy, consisting of magical novels and stories set in contemporary, real-world, urban settings -- as opposed to "traditional" fantasy set in wholly imaginary landscapes, even ones containing imaginary cities, or having most of their action take place in them. The modern urban fantasy protagonist faces extraordinary circumstances as plots unfold in either open (where magic or paranormal events are commonly accepted to exist) or closed (where magical powers or creatures are concealed) worlds.'

So that's cleared that up then! Personally, for me Keri's books exist at a place where women's fiction and fantasy - urban or otherwise! - collide. They're set in an alternative Melbourne, very much like the real Melbourne, but peopled by werewolves and vampires, shapeshifters, and weird genetic hybrids but at their heart is Riley Jenson. Riley is a wonderfully spiky modern heroine, looking for love - and sex, she's a werewolf after all! - in all the wrong places. I've become utterly hooked on these sexy fast-paced urban fantasy novels. I think Keri Arthur will appeal to all fans of Buffy, Charlaine Harris, Laurell K Hamilton and Kelley Armstrong.

And if anyone is going to be at the London Bookfair on Tuesday, look out for a guest appearance by our 'so stunning she's probably not human' cover model Lucy Clarkson, who will be donning her Riley guise to hand out reading copies of FULL MOON RISING...(We will try and post pictures next week!)

Alternatively, we have 5 copies of FULL MOON RISING to give away via the blog...

4 Comments:

At 8:12 pm, April 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't tried 'urban fantasy' before but have heard great things about Keri Arthur.

Will have to give her a go . . .

 
At 8:33 pm, April 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also heard great reviews for this author and series. I don't really like reading series - hate the long wait - but I am hooked on the In Death and JR Ward series. But I love vampire and werewolves books, so I must read this.

 
At 11:33 am, April 11, 2007, Blogger Natalie said...

I’m sure I will love this series especially as you compare it to three of my favourite writers; Kelley Armstrong was the first of my “Urban Fantasy” reads and from that I snatched up every fantasy series on the market that I could find!

 
At 5:52 pm, April 15, 2007, Blogger LesleyW said...

I am a big urban fantasy fan. I think it's possibly my favourite genre. I'm very pleased that Piatkus are publishing it. I love J.R.Ward, Lynn Viehl and Kelley Armstrong and am always on the lookout for new series to follow. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home